Why buy hummus full of added oils and preservatives? Even the “healthy options” hope you aren’t paying attention to the ingredient list! Make your own. Should last a few days, maybe up to a week in the refrigerator. You will need a food processor for this recipe.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (add more if you like it super garlicy)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped red peppers
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp basil
- Optional seasonings: cayenne, oregano, cumin
- Dash salt
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- In a frying pan on medium heat, pour the olive oil, first place the chopped red peppers in and begin cooking, part way through add the onions and cook until desired appearance. (Onions should be translucent but not burnt. Red peppers you want a little dark for that “roasted” taste).
- Open the can of chickpeas, drain, pick over them removing any browned ones. Rinse well.
- Add all ingredients to food processor. Pulse until you have a nice puree. Enjoy!