Friday Food Focus – highlighting one deceiving or surprising food item each week. This week, the Sante Fe Salad from Boston Pizza. I chose this one because salads from restaurants are pretty much always shocking. You think you’re getting something healthy because of all those vegetables, but truly it is so easy to ruin something good very quickly with something bad – usually the dressing.
The nutritional facts for this salad, now this is before you add any chicken or extras (serving size 527 g):
- 710 calories – rather high for a salad, don’t you think? But, depending on your goals, size, or what you’ve already eaten, maybe that’s not too bad. For comparison sake, you could also get the Chipotle Chicken Club sandwich for 700 calories (just the sandwich).
- 51 grams of fat, making up 64.6% of those calories, with 9 grams of saturated and 0.5 grams of trans fats
- 1390 mg of sodium – which if you’ve been paying attention, you know is your entire daily allotment (Recommendation: 1300 – 1500 mg)
- 64 grams of carbohydrates, with 13 grams of fibre and 16 grams of sugar
- 18 grams of protein
Now let’s add the chicken, because you’re probably going to have it:
- 990 calories – hope you’re not planning on having a big supper
- 60 grams of fat, making up 540 of those calories (54.5%) (10 g saturated, 0.5 g trans)
- And, 1600 mg of sodium – FOR A SALAD, seriously kids. How’s that “healthy choice” sitting with you now?
- 81 grams of carbohydrates, 16 grams fibre and 30 grams of sugar
- 52 grams of protein
*All nutritional information pulled directly from the company’s website, and do not include any add ons.