Fruity, full of vitamin C, what’s not to love about Booster Juice? People say, “hey it’s made with real fruit so it’s good for me right!?” Because anything made with real anything these days is so rare that that in and of itself is seemingly a nutritionally redeeming quality.
I have to admit, I love a good Booster Juice, but let’s be fair here, it’s really not all that good, or at least not as good as Booster Juice would like to have us believe.
You see, though it’s made with real fruit, it’s also made with real sugar baby, a lot of it.
Here is the nutritional information for one Breezy Banana 710 ml:
- 340 calories, not too bad, but probably enough to call it a meal replacement and not just a beverage.
- 0.4 grams of fat, which is very low (it should be, it’s fruit right?), and only 0.1 grams of saturated fat
- 4 grams of protein, which is too low in my opinion, as only 4.7% of the calories are from protein….so what’s left…
- 83 grams of carbohydrates…. well that’s high, must be lots of fibre right? It should be since it’s supposed to be chock full of real fruit…
- 5 grams of fibre…. well ok, that’s better than nothing, but only 14 – 20% of your daily requirement (depending on whether you are male or female), so nothing to get excited about
- 65 grams of pure sugar! Well geez, that’s 260 calories or 76.5% of the total calories from sugar alone
Sixty-five grams of sugar is a lot, to give you some perspective you could eat:
- 7 maple dip donuts from Tim Hortons for 63 grams of sugar (9 g each, (288 g carbs and 1890 calories))
- 1 1/4 Cups of Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream for 67.5 grams of sugar (27 g per 1/2 cup, (85 g carbs and 650 calories)), or
- 624 ml of a Dr. Pepper slurpee from 7-11 for 65 grams of sugar (37 g sugar per 355 ml), which is about 21 oz (about 2.6 cups, 67 g carbs and 246 calories)
Whoa baby, doesn’t seem so healthy now does it? Remember to read your labels and nutrition facts!
*all nutritional information is gathered from the company’s own websites and are relative for Canadian products.